Friday, July 28, 2006

Shanghai Summer Camp 2006

Two weeks ago I was in Shanghai with hundred over others to be part of this summer camp where we introduced Service Learning to the local youths. The journey has made me realise that we Singaporeans are very blessed indeed. Not particularly in any areas such as our infrastructure, living or educational standards, but the awareness level of community work in our society. To a great extent in this nation, it is our willingness to give, for the bible says in Acts that it is more blessed to give than to receive.

Interestingly when we were conducting a survey along the streets, trying to find out community needs, one of my Shanghainese counterpart kept insisting that we shouldn't be approaching people young, trendy or well dressed. He said we should be targeting the elderly, the poor and the needy instead.

When I had the chance, I explained that community service is not limited to just the poor, old and needy. Rich people have needs too. A rich family may have problems discipling their rebellious son or daughter and need social workers to mediate and help. In the same light, when I told people I would be going to Shanghai for community work and raised funds for it, some people wondered aloud, why Shanghai? Why the most developed city in China? Why not the small and poor province, just like the Lijiang and Mingying trip I did 2 years ago? Why not go feed the poor or reconstruct houses? All these are equally important but often deemed to be more noble and self sacrificial compared to city trips.

This Shanghai trip is a 3 year plan that aims to introduce Shanghainese youth to Service Learning (You serve the community, and you take home a learning that you can apply in your own life....knowledge, values that bring about a positive life long change).
This year, we introduced the whole concept to them, brought the awareness and equipped them with the skills. Next year, we train them to be leaders. Year 2008, each one of them will lead a group to go into the various parts of China to do all the "noble" stuff of building houses, teaching etc.

This concept is very powerful because it is, in Eric's words, a Strategic Empowerment. It is one thing for us Singaporeans to serve China. Yet it is another to see Chinese rising up to serve their own people! Due to the one child policy, most youths in Shanghai especially are self centered and do not "pour back" to their community but I believe this will change.

Personally I do not have a great passion or love for China or its people. But as we avail ourselves to be used by the Holy Spirit, He will equip us. Not just the skills, but also the heart of compassion. I won't say it was a fun or a nice trip but I have been blessed through this journey as I see the hands of God move in the difficulties I encountered.

I want to say "Thank you" to those who gave to make this trip possible in one way or another. My colleagues from Reader's Digest and my friends. Thank you!

Here are some pictures and the commentary begins.....


I was part of an advance party who left 2-3 days before the main group so that we could recce the place. This is the China Eastern flight that I took. Must admit that I got into a bit of a culture shock here.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting


Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting


Eric was conducting a structured experience to bring across the importance of reflection.
Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting



A typical group discussion. I learnt the importance of being intentional even in setting what questions to ask during facilitation.
Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting


A shot of the main auditorium at the Activity Centre where we gathered for most of our group activities.
Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting



My team of SG members and another shot of us having a local hotpot/steamboat. rather interesting style.
Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting


Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting



In Shanghai, you can get small watermelons similar to the size of a bowling ball. We bought like 5 of them for 10 yuan (equivalent to S$2). Chopped them up with a swiss army knife and had this watermelon party in my room...bathroom.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting



Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting


Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting


Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting


It's hard to run away from Singapore's favourite NTUC. Someone (Eric or Eugene???) pointed out to me that even at the hotel lift lobby, you see NTUC. I couldn't resist but to snap this picture.
Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting


City Lights - Ten times more impressive than Orchard Road! That was about half an hour cab ride away from where we stayed in the suburbs.
Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting



Finally during the last few days of the camp, we left the hotel to stay at a huge local school. My meal.
Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting


Pictures of our dorm plus the super cool bathrooms!!!

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting




No comments: